Sunday, February 05, 2006

In-flight reading

My favorite pastime on flights (long or short) is reading the in-flight sales catalogs. Most flights I have been on have one called SkyMall. The wares portrayed in these publications are typically grossly over-priced, but most of the "ideas" will stun you with the "creativity" of their "inventors".

My liberal sprinkling of quotation marks above must surely reveal my leanings on this issue. On a recent trip to Washington, DC, SkyMall had me rolling in the aisles with their selection of "must-have" gadgets and gee-gaws (a term I first heard uttered by Captain Haddock in the Tintin comic 'The Castafiore Emerald'). For example, there was an indoor ramp to allow your pet dog to get onto your sofa more easily. A similar product aimed at assisting dogs into cars. And I have to mention the man's organizer: a plain tray with a few dividers, to "store" keys, a cell phone and some change. Wow! table-tops seem to have become extinct now!

The next time you are on a plane and are bored out of your skull, turn immediately to SkyMall. I guarantee that it will be enough to fill the longest flight.

No comments: